Baked Mixed Beans
by Sara Foster, Foster’s Market, Durham, North Carolina
A simple summer favorite, baked beans are perfect picnic fare. This recipe can be made with most any type of bean: black, navy, pinto,
great northern, lima, or—in the summer—fresh butterbeans. Make ahead of time for added convenience.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup barbeque sauce (your favorite)
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound fresh or frozen lima beans, rinsed and picked through
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
Preheat the oven to 350?F.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the bacon for 1 to 2 minutes per side, just until slightly cooked but not crispy. Remove from the pan and set aside to drain on a paper towel.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions to the same pan. Cook and stir about 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent and slightly cooked.
Combine the barbeque sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, mustard, salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a large bowl and stir to mix. Add the beans and onions and stir to mix thoroughly.
Pour the mixture into a 2-quart ovenproof dish. Top the beans with the slices of bacon and bake for about 1 hour, until the bacon is crispy and the beans are bubbling around the edges. Serve warm.