Asian Chicken Salad
by Thomas Odermatt, Chef , RoliRoti Gourmet Rotisserie, San Francisco, California
This tasty twist on an old favorite is sure to appeal to the entire family. The scallions, garlic, and sesame add an exotic Asian tang, but the dish is simple and straightforward, and can be prepared in minutes.
- 2 tablespoons green onions or scallions
- 2 tablespoons green garlic, chopped (or green onion with a dash or garlic powder)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, medium salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon shallots, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 cups Smart Chicken, cooked and diced into cubes or shredded
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil (optional)
In a bowl, combine green onions (or scallions), green garlic, shallots, lemon zest, and chopped chicken. Toss to blend. Stir in the avocado, olive oil, sesame oil, lemon juice, soy sauce and cilantro, if using. Season to taste with salt and pepper. This versatile chicken salad can be served on a sandwich bun or croissant, or over cold angel hair pasta or Japanese soba noodles. For an even simpler presentation, spread on a flour tortilla.
Pairing: This dish would go well with a medium-bodied white wine that exhibits a good balance between fruity and acidic, such as a pinot gris.