Arugula Salad With Grilled Peaches, Chives & Cider Vinaigrette
by Adam Pechal, Chef, Tuli Bistro, Sacramento, California
This lightly sweet dressing pairs perfectly with spicy arugula and juicy summer peaches. You may have leftover dressing; try it on most any combination of salad greens. In fact, you may find yourself doubling the dressing recipe just to have it on hand.
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot (1 medium shallot)
- Kosher or sea salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 heaping tablespoon sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 firm, but ripe peaches or nectarines, halved and pitted
- 1 bunch chives, chopped (about ¼ cup)
- 12 cups fresh arugula (about 6 ounces)
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, shallot and ½ teaspoon salt. Let sit for 3 to 5 minutes to soften the shallot. Whisk in the honey and sour cream or yogurt. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Season with several grinds of black pepper. Taste, and add a pinch more salt if needed. Set aside.
Heat a clean gas or charcoal grill to medium-high. Brush the cut sides of each peach half liberally with olive oil. Grill the peaches cut side down, uncovered, until lightly caramelized, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn over and grill for another minute until the skin starts to burst. Transfer to a cutting board and cut each peach half into slices. Place in a bowl, and toss with a few teaspoons of the dressing.
Pile the arugula onto a serving platter. Scatter over the chives, reserving a small handful. Drizzle over enough dressing to coat and toss gently. Arrange the peaches over the greens. Scatter the almonds and remaining chives over the top, and serve.
Store any leftover dressing in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.