- 1 (11-ounce) package arugula
- 2 Bosc pears, cored and thinly sliced
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, stems removed
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Red Wine Vinegar Shallot Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
Wash and drain the arugula and place on paper towels to drain thoroughly. Gently roll the paper towels with the arugula up and place in a plastic bag and refrigerate until ready to use. This can be done several days in advance, and the arugula will be well-drained and crispy.
When ready to serve, place the pears in a large bowl and squeeze the lemon juice over and around, toss to coat the pears. Add the arugula, fennel, parsley and goat cheese and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with about half the vinaigrette and toss gently to mix. Taste for seasoning and add more vinaigrette, salt, and pepper if desired. Serve slightly chilled or room temperature.
- Red Wine Vinegar & Shallot Vinaigrette
- Makes about 1 cup
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
In a small bowl, combine the shallot, lemon juice, vinegar, and mustard. Whisk in the olive oil until incorporated and the dressing is slightly thick. Store refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to serve. This will keep refrigerated for up to 4 days.