Apple Jack Chicken Sandwich
by Eric Leyden, Chef, The Nebraska Club, Lincoln, Nebraska
- 4 boneless skinless Smart Chicken breasts
- 4 buns, toasted
- 4 thick slices Monterey Jack cheese
- Apple-Bacon Compote, room temperature or slightly warmed (recipe follows)
- 4 tablespoons BBQ mayonnaise (2 tablespoons BBQ sauce mixed with 2 tablespoons mayonnaise)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and grill on both sides until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F, then let rest. Top with cheese, then return to grill and close lid until cheese is melted.
To serve, spread BBQ mayonnaise on bottom bun, top with Apple-Bacon Compote, then place grilled chicken on top and cover with top bun. Serve immediately.
- Apple-Bacon Compote:
- 2 strips bacon, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 3 cups Granny Smith apples, diced into ¼-inch or ½-inch cubes (approximately 2 apples)
- 2 green onion, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 tablespoon sugar or honey
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Pinch salt
- Pinch red chile flakes (optional)
In a non-stick skillet, cook bacon on low heat until desired crispness. Add apples, butter, cinnamon, cumin, sugar (or honey) and cider vinegar. Simmer on medium heat until apples are tender and all flavors are combined, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add salt, red chile flakes, and green onion and stir. Remove from heat and refrigerate until ready to use.