Slightly smoky Andouille sausage combined with sweet basil and creamy Parmesan make this pasta hard to resist.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for finishing
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced into 2-inch strips
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 package Smart Chicken Andouille Sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 pound penne pasta
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ¾ cup roughly chopped basil
- 4 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
In a large skillet, heat olive oil until almost smoking and add the onions, peppers, garlic, and salt. Sauté until golden brown and soft. Add sausage and heat through. Meanwhile, bring about 4 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons of kosher salt. Add pasta to water and cook to al dente. Strain, reserving half cup of the pasta water. Add the pasta water and cooked penne to the skillet and toss. Add the basil and mix. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese and extra-virgin olive oil.